Based on Hayao Miyazaki’s animation “Howl’s Moving Castle” (2004), this Symphonic Fantasy for Band was arranged for Neagari Jr. High School Band (Kazuhiro Tanaka- director) in Nomi, Ishikawa, Japan as concert contest non-test repertoire.
This work consists of 5 scenes which are freely adapted from Image Symphonic Suite (music released before the film’s premier) and The Soundtrack:
1. The Allure of Dawn (Image Symphonic Suite)
2. Wandering Sophie (Soundtrack)
3. The Courageous Cavalry (Soundtrack)
4. The Boy Who Swallowed the Star (Soundtrack)
5. The Merry-go-round of Life (Soundtrack)
To maximize the wind band’s unique sound and function, I have taken some liberty in spreading active roles throughout the ensemble. This is the motive behind the subtitle, Symphonic Fantasy for Band.